Small Ensembles class is comprised of both instrumental and vocal music students who enjoy performing music in small group settings and have experience performing in either band or choir. Students have the opportunity to perform solos, duets, trios, and quartets in multiple genres and styles. The aesthetic aspect of the music is stressed and emphasis is placed on musical style and individual musicianship. Additionally, students learn basic music theory and history, and transfer that knowledge to their musical performances. The Small Ensembles class performs approximately four concerts per year - a Fall concert in November, a Christmas concert in December, a mid-winter concert in February, and a spring concert in May.
Music Selections for April 30 Concert
- Theme from "Beauty and the Beast" (Small Ensemble: two alto saxophones, one trumpet, one piano, and one drummer)
- Melodie, by Christoph Willibald Gluck (Violin solo with piano accompaniment)
- Linus and Lucy, from "The Peanuts", by Vince Guaraldi (Piano solo)
- American Patrol, by F.W. Meacham (Trio: two alto saxophones and one trumpet)
- The Rakes of Mallow, by Leroy Anderson (Trio: two alto saxophones and one trumpet)
- Here Comes the Sun, by The Beatles (Vocal solo with ukulele accompaniment)